Secondary education includes the middle and high school learning communities. Each state has its own standard, but in most cases a student is legally obligated to continue compulsory education until the age of 16. When you make the decision to quit attending school, one educational option is to obtain a General Educational Development, or GED, diploma. There are steps you can take to obtain a duplicate copy if you lose your original diploma and live in Louisiana.

Contact the Louisiana Department of Education, which can offer direction as to which channels must be followed in order to obtain a copy of your GED. The website for this governmental body gives you direct access to the site and physical address board of the exact educational office that provides you with the actual GED copy.

Request a GED copy from the Louisiana Community and Technical College System in Baton Rouge. If you do not have Internet access, you can request your GED transcript by mail by contacting the office at their physical address or by phone. When you take this route, you will be sent a duplicate request application by mail and expected to complete the form and return it to the Louisiana Community and Technical College System adult education office.

Apply for a duplicate GED online. If you have access to the Internet, you can print off an application request for a copy of your GED. The form must be completed and mailed, e-mailed or faxed to the Work Ready U offices at the Louisiana Community and Technical College System in Baton Rouge. All requests are processed in the order they are received and processing takes from two to three weeks. Even if you send in your request via e-mail or fax, all GED transcripts are only returned to you through postal mail. Both the copies of scores and duplicate diplomas are available.