How to Get My Military Training Records

Both current service members and veterans can use their military education toward a civilian college degree.

Whether you are currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces or you are a veteran, you are entitled to receive free copies of your military training records. Current service members may request copies through the records department of their branch, while veterans' records are available through the National Personnel Records Center, a subset of the National Archives. Your military training records can be transferred to civilian postsecondary institutions and traded for college credit, or they can be used to prove experience on job applications.

1 Current Service Members

2 Visit your branch's

Visit your branch's educational transcript system. The Army uses the Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System, commonly referred to as AARTS. The Navy and Marine Corps uses the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript system, or SMART. The Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) holds all active and reserve Air Force training records, and the Coast Guard Institute maintains transcripts for their service members.

3 Enter your military credentials and password and on your branch's transcript website

Enter your military credentials and password on your branch's transcript website. These are the same military credentials you use to check your branch email and use other branch-specific websites.

4 Click Request Transcripts

Click "Request Transcripts" on the home page. You will be redirected to a form that requires your name, Social Security number and other identifying information. Click "Continue" when you finish entering the information.

5 Provide the address

Provide the address where you want your training records sent. If you are having them sent to a postsecondary institution, request an official copy. If you want them for personal use, you may only request an unofficial transcript.

6 Submit your request online

Submit your request online. Your records will be mailed to the address you specified when your request is processed by your branch.

7 Veterans

8 Visit the National Archives at

Visit the National Archives at As a veteran, you may request copies of your record online using the eVetRecs system. Click "Veterans' Records" and then click the button to launch the eVetRecs system.

9 Complete all required information

Complete all required information. You will be asked to provide your name, Social Security number and your branch of service. Indicate which type of military records you wish to receive. Provide a mailing address and click "Continue" when you have finished supplying all required information.

10 Print and sign the eVetRecs signature card

Print and sign the eVetRecs signature card that appears after you finish the form. Mail the completed form to: National Personnel Records Center 9700 Page Boulevard St. Louis, Missouri 63132 Your records will arrive within four to six weeks, depending on the current workload of the staff at the National Archives.

A professional writer since 1994, Eva Talent was trained as a journalist by the U.S. Army. She received two Army Commendation Medals and an Army Achievement Medal for journalistic excellence. Her press releases are frequently featured on the websites of the Department of Defense and the Army. Talent holds a Bachelor of Arts in psychology from the University of Michigan.