How to Block Computers From Skype
Although Skype enables people to exchange instant messages and initiate audio and video calls, it can sometimes be abused by other users that have access to your computer. If you want to prevent others from using Skype on your PC without uninstalling the program, use the Windows Firewall to block it. The Firewall is installed by default with the Windows operating system. You can block programs even if you're using a third-party firewall; most security solutions allow you to block programs manually.
Press "Windows-X" to display the Power User menu and click "Control Panel" to open the utility.
Click the "System and Security" link and then click the "Windows Firewall" link to view all settings related to the firewall.
Click the "Advanced settings" link in the left pane to open the "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" window.
Click the "Outbound Rules" link in the left pane and then click "New Rule" in the Action pane. The New Outbound Rule Wizard window displays.
Click the "Program" radio button and then click "Next." Click the "This program path:" radio button and then click "Browse" to display a file browser window.
Select the Skype.exe file using the file explorer, click "Open" and then click "Next." By default, the Skype.exe file is located in the SystemDrive:\Program Files\Skype\Phone folder.
Click the "Block the connection" radio button and then click "Next." Check the "Domain," "Private" and "Public" boxes to block Skype on all networks and then click "Next."
Type a name for your new firewall rule into the "Name" field. If you like, enter a short description into the "Description (optional)" box. Click "Finish" to save and apply the rule.
- Information in this article applies to the Windows 8 Firewall. Procedures may vary slightly or significantly with other versions or products.
- Anyone that has access to the administrator account on your computer can disable or delete the firewall rule and then use Skype.
- You will still be able to launch Skype, but the program will not be able to connect to the Internet. This means that you can't log in to your Skype account and use the program.
- To unblock Skype, select the new firewall rule in the "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" window and then click "Disable" in the Actions pane.
- To delete the firewall rule, select it and then click "Delete" in the Actions pane.
- If you are using a third party firewall and the Windows Firewall is inactive, consult the documentation of the program to learn how to block programs manually.