How to Get Transcripts From a Closed College

Records from closed colleges are usually stored with the education department of the state that licensed the school.

Obtaining a transcript from a closed college or university can be difficult and time consuming. Fortunately, help is readily available. Proper preparation and research will greatly simplify the process.

  • Personal information
  • School information

1 Research & Preparation

2 Make that the school

Make certain that the school in question is actually closed. Name changes and mergers in the academic world do occur. A simple online search of the college's name may reveal that it is operating under a new name or that it has merged with another school. If this is the case, then obtaining a transcript is as simple as contacting the school under its new name.

3 Prepare a list

Prepare a list of all pertinent personal information that may be needed to secure a transcript. Be certain to include your name, social security number, student id number, current address, phone number, and e-mail address.

4 Prepare a list of information

Prepare a list of information about the school you attended. Be sure to include the name of the school, the school's address, your dates of attendance, your date of graduation, and your program of study.

5 Prepare a list of information-2

Prepare a list of information about the recipient of the required transcript. If the transcript is being provided to a new school or prospective employer, they will want it sent directly to them.

6 Getting Help

7 If the college was a public institution

If the college was a public institution, information on obtaining a transcript can usually be found by contacting the department of education in the state where the school was located. In many cases, the department of education will be in possession of the documents you need.

8 Is

Information on private schools is available through the National Association of State Administrators and Supervisors of Private Schools (NASASPS). In addition to information on private schools, this association's website has information on many public schools as well. It can provide details on how to contact the organization that can provide access to the needed transcript.

9 For schools outside of the United States

For schools outside of the United States, you will need to contact the governing body of education within the country where the school was located.

Paul King has worked as a freelance writer since 2009. His work appears on various websites, covering a wide variety of topics. King is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in English at Northwest Florida State College.