How to Send College Transcripts

White wooden bookcase.jpg

When you're transferring to a different college or applying for graduate school, you'll need to send your college transcripts to the new schools. Typically, schools will require that these be "official transcripts," meaning that they must bear the seal of the college. If your college will send the transcripts to you directly, they'll be in a sealed envelope--you cannot open this envelope. Most colleges make it easy to order a copy of your transripts, whether you are a current student or graduated many years ago.

1 Contact your college's registrar office

Contact your college's registrar office. This is where the school keeps your transcripts. Ask the worker about the college's procedure for requesting transcripts. While procedures will vary from college to college, you'll probably have to send a written request and make a payment.

2 Send your written request written to your college

Send your written request to your college. If you are no longer a student, you may have to do this by mail. If you are a current student, you can drop by the office. The school may have a special request form to fill out.

3 Write a check or money order or for the cost of the transcript

Write a check or money order for the cost of the transcript. Remember that you must pay per transcript. If you are ordering copies of your transcripts for several different schools, you must include the fee for each copy.

4 Include a self-addressed stamped envelope

Include a self-addressed stamped envelope. The school will probably not mail your transcripts without this. You can address the envelope to the school that needs them or you can address the envelope to yourself.

Maggie McCormick is a freelance writer. She lived in Japan for three years teaching preschool to young children and currently lives in Honolulu with her family. She received a B.A. in women's studies from Wellesley College.