Although the primary purpose of the Yahoo Mail service is to help you send and receive emails, it also has a Messenger component. Yahoo Messenger is used to exchange instant messages, as well as media, with your family and friends. When you log in to your Yahoo Mail account in your Web browser, you automatically sign in to the online version of Yahoo Messenger. To stop private chat requests from people you don't know, configure Messenger to block people not in your Contacts list. To avoid chatting entirely, you need to sign out of Messenger.
Log in to Yahoo Mail, click the gear icon and choose "Settings" from the menu to open the Settings dialog box.
Click "Messenger" in the left navigation pane to view all settings related to the Messenger feature.
Click the "Block all users not in my Contact List" radio button and then click "Save" to prevent unknown people from initiating chats with you.
Click "Messenger" in the left pane, click your status and choose "Sign Out of Messenger" from the menu to sign out of Messenger. Nobody will be able to send you chat requests after you sign out.
- You can choose "Invisible" instead of "Sign Out of Messenger" from the status menu to go invisible in Messenger. Although your contacts won't see you online, they can still send you chat requests.
- To resume chatting with your contacts, you need to sign back in to Yahoo Messenger. To sign in, click "Messenger," click "Offline" and then choose an existing status or create a new one.
- You are not signed out of your Yahoo Mail account when you sign out of Yahoo Messenger.
- To block only specific contacts, add them to the Block list. To add a contact to the Block list, open the Settings dialog box, click "Messenger," click "Add," type the Yahoo ID and click "OK."
- Pixland/Pixland/Getty Images