How to Change the Way the Google Chrome Address Bar Shows Suggestions
Manage the default browser to help you filter the search list as you enter search terms in the Chrome address bar. For example, you can adjust a favorite search engine to show results from one country. Google Chrome also provides a prediction service that shows website addresses and search terms in a drop-down list on the address bar. For example, an icon displaying a page with a folded corner indicates a website address. Chrome enables you to turn this prediction service on or off to suit your Internet search preferences.
- Set the Default Browser
- Click the toolbar s
- Select Settings
- Click the Search section s
- Enter a search term
- Modify the Search Engines
- Click the Menu button
- Click Manage Search Engines
- Click the search engine on the list
- Disable the Prediction Service
- Click the Chrome Menu button
- Click Show Advanced Settings
- Click to remove the tick
1 Set the Default Browser
2 Click the toolbar s
Click the toolbar’s Menu button; the button is labeled with three horizontal stripes.
3 Select Settings
Select “Settings” on the drop-down menu to bring up the Chrome sidebar and the Settings pane.
4 Click the Search section s
Click the Search section’s arrow button to open the drop-down list of search engines. Click a search engine's name, such as Google, Bing or Yahoo, to save it as the default search engine.
5 Enter a search term
Enter a search term in the Chrome address bar and press “Enter” to bring up the search list filtered by your preferred search engine.
6 Modify the Search Engines
7 Click the Menu button
Click the Menu button and then click “Settings” to display the Settings window.
8 Click Manage Search Engines
Click “Manage Search Engines” in the Search section to bring up the Search Engines window. The Default Search Settings section lists search engines, such as Google. The default search engine is displayed in bold text and labeled "Default."
9 Click the search engine on the list
Click the search engine on the list you want to modify. For example, click the website field and then enter the new website. For example, change google.com to google.ca to filter Canadian websites. Click “Make Default” and then click “Done” to save. To remove a search engine, point over that search engine, click “X” and then click “Done.” To add a search engine, enter the data in the fields in the Other Search Engines section. Click “Done.”
10 Disable the Prediction Service
11 Click the Chrome Menu button
Click the Chrome “Menu” button and select “Settings” to open the Settings window.
12 Click Show Advanced Settings
Click “Show Advanced Settings” at the bottom of the page to extend more options, including the Privacy section.
13 Click to remove the tick
Click to remove the tick in the box next to “Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar” in the Privacy section.
- Information in this article applies to Google Chrome version 30. It may vary slightly or significantly with other versions or products.
- Clear the browser’s cache to help you prevent other people from viewing your browsing history and other information that appears under the address bar as you enter search terms. Click the Menu button, select “Tools” and select “Clear Browsing Data.” Select the preferred items you want to clear. For example, click to add a tick for “Clear browsing history,” “Clear download history” and “Empty the cache.” Click “Clear Browsing Data.”