People sitting on chairs.jpg
post office, mail, mailbox

If you’re moving, it’s a good idea to make an official change of address with the Post Office as soon as possible. You can do the change online, at a Post Office or over the phone by filling out a simple form, whether it’s a temporary or permanent change. If you make a mistake in your change of address, you can either update the information or cancel your original request. Then you can go about filing the correct request. No matter how you originally filed the request, you can make the changes at the United States Postal Service website.

Log on to the USPS website

Log on to the USPS website.


Scroll to the bottom of the screen. Under “Would You Like To…?” click “Change Your Address.” This brings up the Official Change of Address Form window.

At the bottom of the screen

At the bottom of the screen, click the link that says, “View, Update or Cancel a Change of Address Order.”

Enter your new ZIP Code

Enter your new ZIP Code. Enter your confirmation code. As listed on this page, the confirmation code is in your confirmation email if you submitted online or in the address order confirmation sent to your new address. This will sign you in.

Make the changes

Make the changes you need to correct your change of address. According to USPS, you can make updates in the start date of your mail forwarding, email address, phone number, switch from temporary to permanent move or switch from a family move to an individual move.

Nt make the changes

If you can’t make the changes you want, such as changing the actual address, choose the option to cancel the Change of Address order. File a new order with the correct address.

Things Needed

  • ['New ZIP Code', 'Change of Address confirmation code', 'Internet']


  • You also can correct a Change of Address by going to your local post office if you wish. Doing it online, though, helps to avoid long lines.