Blocking the Bing Search Engine
Bing is the default search engine in Internet Explorer. Furthermore, various applications can change the default search engine in Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome if you accept the changes during the setup process. You can't block the Bing search engine, but you can remove it from the search engine providers list and then change the default engine used by the Web browser. The browser will never use Bing if it is not the default search engine, unless you allow another application to change the default engine.
- Internet Explorer
- Click the arrow in the Search box
- Click Manage search providers
- Select Bing
- Mozilla Firefox
- Click the arrow
- Click Manage Search Engines
- Select Bing-2
- Select your favorite search engine
- Google Chrome
- Click the Chrome menu button
- Click Manage search engines
- Click the X icon
- Click the Make Default button
1 Internet Explorer
2 Click the arrow in the Search box
Click the arrow in the Search box after you launch Internet Explorer. The default search engine -- Bing in most cases -- is the first search engine in the list.
3 Click Manage search providers
Click "Manage search providers" to display the Manage Add-ons window. The Search Providers section is displayed by default and all search providers are listed in the right pane.
4 Select Bing
Select "Bing" and click the "Remove" button to remove it from the list. Select your favorite search engine and click the "Set as default" button to make it the default search engine. Click "Close."
5 Mozilla Firefox
6 Click the arrow
Click the arrow on the left side of the Search box after you launch Mozilla Firefox. The search engine in bold is the default engine used by Firefox for all searches.
7 Click Manage Search Engines
Click "Manage Search Engines" to display the Manage Search Engine List window.
8 Select Bing-2
Select "Bing" and click "Remove" to remove it from the search engine list.
9 Select your favorite search engine
Select your favorite search engine and then click the "Move Up" button until it is in the first position to make it the default search engine.
10 Google Chrome
11 Click the Chrome menu button
Click the Chrome menu button and choose "Settings" from the menu to open the Settings page.
12 Click Manage search engines
Click "Manage search engines" in the Search section to display the Search Engines dialog.
13 Click the X icon
Mouse over the Bing search engine and click the "X" icon to remove it from the list of search engines.
14 Click the Make Default button
Mouse over your favorite search engine and click the "Make Default" button to make it the default search engine.
- Information in this article applies to Internet Explorer 11, Mozilla Firefox 27.0 and Google Chrome 32.0. Procedures may vary slightly or significantly with other versions.
- To add another search engine to Internet Explorer, click the arrow in the Search box and choose "Find More Providers" from the menu. Click the provider and then click "Add to Internet Explorer." Select the "Make this my default search provider" option if you want to use it as the default search engine and click "Add."