A-Line Vs. Pencil Skirts
Picture pep rallies with cheerleaders rocking splayed A-line skirts and professors sporting slim pencil skirts. Relaxed A-lines fit at the waist, then flare to broad hemlines, while tailored pencil skirts -- or H-lines -- have fitted waists and hips then taper to narrow hemlines. Both are universally flattering and seasonless.
1 A-Plus A-Lines
A-lines have a flouncy, forgiving fit. Wear the waist-hugging, hip-hiding skirt with T-shirts and moto boots for casual ensembles or crisp blouses, structured jackets and heels for dressier outfits. Printed A-lines teamed with plain tops and cropped leather jackets make elegant ensembles. For a playful look, pepper in a patterned top. Bright bottoms and breezy blouses or tees kick color into warm-weather wardrobes. For A-plus execution, short statures should rock short hemlines, while tall girls can opt for midi lengths.
2 Pencil Perfection
No curves are casualties with slim-fitting pencil skirts. Its slender shape makes this skirt style popular in polished, professional settings. For an ever-chic ensemble, pair pencil skirts with button-downs or blouses. Spruce up classics with a patterned skirt or shirt; for interviews and internships, mix them with cropped blazers. Casual pencil-skirt pairings call for flirty crop tops, graphic tees and stylish sweatshirts. Pick fitted tees over baby-doll and flowy tops to play up the silhouette, and finish with a classic pair of pumps or edgy ankle boots.
- 1 Women's Wear Daily: Fashion Glossary
- 2 InStyle: A-Line
- 3 Teen Vogue: Eight Ways to Wear a Skater Skirt (Inspired by Stylish Stars!)
- 4 Huffington Post: Why A-Line Skirts Look Good on Every Woman
- 5 Curves Rule and Flat is Fabulous: Sexy, Stylish Looks for Every Figure; Rita Mauceri, Elycia Rubin
- 6 Seventeen Magazine: What Type of Shirt Should I Wear with a Pencil Skirt?
- 7 Glamour: Daily Outfit Idea: Six Fresh Ways to You’re your Pencil Skirt- The Ultimate Wardrobe Staple