If you forget your Samsung Gravity Smart's password, you can perform a master reset. A master reset clears all data on the device, including call history, contacts, emails, photos, music and apps. You can also use a master reset to fix errors such as periodic crashes or freezes. In addition, you should reset your phone to erase all personal information from the device before you sell it or give it away. Data deleted during the reset cannot be recovered. Data on the SD card should remain intact, but it's generally a good idea to remove the SD card and the SIM card before you reset the Gravity.
Perform a Soft Reset
Press the "Home" key to return to the Home screen, tap the "Menu" key and then tap "Settings" to go to the Settings screen.
Tap "Privacy" to view all settings related to Privacy. Tap "Factory data reset" and then tap "Reset phone."
Type your password, if you use one, and then tap "Erase everything" to reset the phone to its factory defaults. The phone returns to the Home screen automatically after the reset.
Perform a Hard Reset
Turn off the phone, or if you are unable to do so, remove the battery and then reinsert it into the phone.
Slide open the QWERTY keyboard; then hold the "Power" key and the "T" key until the Android System Recovery screen displays.
Press the "Volume Down" key until "Wipe data / factory reset" is highlighted, and then press the "Power" key to select that option.
Highlight the "Yes - Wipe user data" option and press the "Power" key.
Highlight the "Reboot system now" option and press the "Power" key to reset the phone to its factory defaults. The phone reboots.
- You can remove the SD card and SIM card to ensure that important data and contacts won't be erased when you reset the phone.
- A master reset does not remove factory-installed apps, but it does erase their data.
- To back up the data on the Samsung Gravity Smart, navigate to "Backup & Restore - Samsung Gravity SMART T589" on the T-Mobile website (link in Resources) and follow the guides.
- A master reset permanently deletes everything on the phone, including apps and app data, photos, email accounts, contacts and photos. All settings are restored to their default values.
- Information in this article applies to the Samsung Gravity Smart. Procedures may vary with other versions or products.