Some owners of the Droid Razr Maxx may have experienced issues with the device shutting off without warning. If your Droid Razr Maxx shuts off on its own, even when fully charged, first try wiping the cache partition to clear all temporary files. If the phone continues to shut off on its own, perform a factory data reset. The problem may be conflicting or bad app installations. A factory reset restores the original Android files and software to your phone. If you still experience the issue after the device is reset to defaults, return the phone for repair or replacement.
Wipe Cache Partition
Press and hold the “Power” button, then tap “Power Off” to turn off the phone.
Press the “Volume Up,” “Volume Down” and the “Power” buttons simultaneously to open the Boot Selection menu. Release all keys when the menu displays.
Press the “Volume Down” button to scroll to the “Recovery” option, then press the “Volume Up” button to select the option and open the Recovery menu.
Press and hold the “Volume Down” button, then press and release the “Volume Up” button. Release the “Volume Down” button.
Press the “Volume” button to scroll to the “Wipe Cache Partition,” then press the “Power” key to select the option. The cache partition is cleared.
Factory Data Reset
Tap the “Apps” tab in the Droid Razr Maxx home screen, then tap the gear icon to launch the Settings app.
Tap the “Privacy” tab, then tap the “Factory Data Reset” option.
Tap the “Reset Phone” option in the Factory Data Reset screen, then tap “Erase Everything.” The device restores, then reboots.
- The reset process may take up to 10 minutes to complete.
- If you cannot access the Settings menu, you can perform an external reset with the buttons on the phone. Open the "Recovery" option, then press and hold the “Volume Down” button, press and release the “Volume Up” button, and release the “Volume Down” button. Use the “Volume” button to select the “Wipe Data” or “Factory Reset” option, then press the “Power” key. The device reverts to original factory software and settings.
- Note that a Factory Data Reset reverts the device to the most recently installed operating system. The procedure will not restore an earlier version of Android.
- Users sometimes experience the shut-down issue with the Droid Razr Maxx after upgrading to a newer version of the Android operating system. Not all installed apps will operate as expected after an OS upgrade. If an installed app is causing the problem, the factory reset will resolve the issue.
- A factory data reset removes all of your personal data, including your accounts, email addresses, passwords, contacts and apps. After the reset, you must set up your Droid Razr Maxx again with your Google account and all other accounts, in the same way as when you first acquired it.
- All of your media files will be deleted with the factory data reset. Back up your files prior to performing the reset.
- Spencer Platt/Getty Images News/Getty Images