DD Form 214, Report of Separation, is a military document as important as your birth certificate or Social Security card. You will need this document to apply for a VA home loan, to obtain GI benefits and to exercise veteran's preference when applying for employment. If you have lost your original DD Form 214, you may acquire a new copy with a few clicks of the mouse.

Access the National Archives website, archives.gov. Click on "Veterans' Service Records."

Click on "Learn about military service records (e.g. DD Form 214)."

Click on "Use our eVetRecs system to create your request."

Click on "Launch the eVetRec System to start your request Online."

Complete the four-step process following instructions provided by the website.