Sending a message to a group of contacts with Gmail is a convenient way to send email communications to a group of people without having to enter each individual's email address each time. By following a few steps, you can create group contacts in Gmail that you can access from your desktop and mobile devices.
How to Create a Group in Gmail
- Go to the Contacts portal on your Gmail page. The Gmail icon in the upper lefthand corner of your Gmail page has a drop-down arrow beside it. Click the arrow and select "Contacts."
- Once in your Contacts portal, you will see a list of all of your contacts. Select the checkbox beside the names of the contacts you want to add to the group.
- Once you click one of the checkboxes, the Groups icon appears above your list of contacts. The Groups icon is beside the "Add contact" icon and looks like the silhouette of three people.
- Click on the drop-down arrow on the Groups icon and select "Create New."
- Enter the name of the group you're creating when prompted and click "OK."
- The new group you have just created should now be in the list to the left of your contact list with a parenthetical number indicating the number of contacts in that particular group.
- When you want to add an additional contact to your group, simply click the checkbox beside their names, click the groups icon, select the group you'd like to add the contact to and click "Apply."
How to Create a Group in Gmail on iPhone
While the Gmail app for iPhone does not allow users to create new groups, there is a workaround in the iPhone OS that allows users to create contact groups within the native mail app.
- Go into your Contacts folder and click the "+" icon.
- Enter the name of your group in the "Company" field.
- Scroll down to the "Notes" field within the contact.
- There, type in all of the email addresses you want to include in this group, in the following format: <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Email addresses need to be separated by a comma.
- Once you've entered all the email addresses for your group in this format, select them all by holding down your finger in the "Notes" field.
- An editing menu will appear, giving you the option to "Select All."
- Choose "Select All" and select "Copy" when prompted.
- Scroll up to the "Add Email" field of the contact and hold your finger down in the empty field.
- Select "Paste" when prompted by the editing menu. This will deposit all the email addresses you've added to the group.
- To send an email to this group, simply type the group name in the "To" field of an email, and the message will go to all contacts you've added to the group.
How Do I Send a Message to a Group in My Gmail Account?
To send a message to a Group you've created in your Gmail account, just follow a few steps:
- Open a new email.
- In the "To" field, type the name of the group you've created.
- When the name of the group appears, click on it.
- The "To" field will now populate with the email addresses of everyone you added to that group.