Defense Document form 220 is perhaps the most important form you acquire during your military service. The DD 220 is the physical copy of your active duty order. Service members rely on this document for many reasons. When you leave your home state, a copy of your active duty orders allows you to keep your home of record as your permanent address, but allows you to take advantage of in-state benefits offered by your duty station state. When you deploy overseas you need a copy of your active duty orders for your records. When filing information for your dependent spouse and/or children DD form 220 is necessary. It is important to keep a copy of your active duty orders in a file of your own.

Visit personnel office at your duty station. The personnel office keeps a record or file of your time in service and termination date. If you are unsure of where your personnel office is, visit the Soldier Readiness Program office or your duty station's Welcome Center. The Welcome Center is where most service members begin their in-processing to a new station. The staff located at these buildings can point you in the right direction for getting a copy of your orders.

Speak with the staff member at the personnel office. You need to present your military identification card when making a request. You will also need to give your social security number, date of birth and home of record.

Request a current copy of your DD form 220 for personal records. If this is your first term of service in the military, you will only have one DD form 220. If you are on a second tour, or served in a previous military branch, request the additional DD 220's if necessary.

Make duplicates of your DD form 220 for your personal military folder. When you are doing a Permanent Change of Station or Separating from the military, it is easy to lose track of documents.


  • Make a personal military folder for your documents. Use a strong 1 and 1/2-inch binder and sheet protectors to store your documents in. When you are changing stations, separating or retiring, misplacing or accidentally destroying your documents will cost valuable time and energy.