Comstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images

The director of Selective Service appoints a group of five citizen volunteers, known as the Local Board, to determine which registrants in their community receive military service exemption, deferment or postponement during a draft. If you registered with the Selective Service and want to know your Local Board’s number, you can obtain it if you were born before 1960. The Selective Service System states on its website that this information is not available for men born during 1960 or later because of the draft ending before these individuals reached draft age.

Visit the Selective Service website at (see link in References below). Click Record Request Form on the homepage to open the PDF file.

Print the Selective Service Records Request form. Fill out the form with as much information as possible, including your full first and last name, date of birth and home address at time of registration. Write “Selective Service Local Board Number” on the line provided for "Information Requested." Sign the bottom of the form on the line provided.

Send the letter to the following address:

National Archives & Records Administration National Archives - St. Louis P.O. Box 38757 St. Louis, MO 63138-0757

Things Needed

  • ['Adobe Reader', 'Paper', 'Printer', 'Envelope', 'Pen', 'Stamp']


  • You can also request your classification status and location of registration from the National Archives and Records Administration. Indicate that you would like this information as well when you fill out the "Information Requested" line on the form.