How to Copy Dish DVR Recordings to a Portable Hard Drive
Several models of DISH Network digital video recorders can use an external hard drive to upgrade the storage, transfer recorded shows and allow for HDTV recording. The DISH DVRs have a USB port to which an external hard drive can be connected. If you do decide to use a hard drive with your DISH DVR, all the content on it will be deleted, it will be formatted to work with your DVR and you will be able to move only the shows between DVRs authorized on your DISH account.
- Connect Hard Drive
- Remove any data from your hard drive
- Connect your hard drive
- Turn on your television and DISH DVR
- 600 and 700 Series DVRs
- Press the Menu button on your DVR remote control
- Choose Send to Device
- Highlight each show
- 922 and Hopper
- Select the DISH DVR as the device to transfer from
- Highlight and select the shows
- USB HDD Compatible DISH Receiver -- 612, 622, 722, 722k, 922 or Hopper
1 Connect Hard Drive
2 Remove any data from your hard drive
Remove any data from your hard drive that you want to keep. Once you format it for use with your DISH system all data on the drive will be lost.
3 Connect your hard drive
Connect your hard drive to one of the USB ports on your DISH DVR. Make sure your hard drive is connected to a power source -- if necessary -- and powered on.
4 Turn on your television and DISH DVR
Turn on your television and DISH DVR. A message appears indicating that a hard drive has been connected to the device and asks for confirmation. If you confirm that you want to add the drive to your DVR then all the data on the drive will be deleted. Use your DISH remote control to confirm your choice. Your DVR resets after the formatting is complete.
5 600 and 700 Series DVRs
6 Press the Menu button on your DVR remote control
Press the "Menu" button on your DVR remote control, choose "Multimedia," then "My Media" under External USB Devices to access the hard drive.
7 Choose Send to Device
Choose "Send to Device" to bring up the shows you have recorded on your DVR.
8 Highlight each show
Highlight each show you want to send to your hard drive and select it. The statistics on the right report how much data you have selected and the remaining space on your external hard drive. When you're finished, highlight and select the "Done" button.
9 922 and Hopper
Press "Menu" on the remote control. For the 922, select "Recordings Transfer." For the Hopper choose "External Hard Drive."
11 Select the DISH DVR as the device to transfer from
Select the DISH DVR as the device to transfer from. Choose the External Device as the device to transfer to. Highlight and select "Next."
12 Highlight and select the shows
Highlight and select the shows you want to transfer from your DVR to the external hard drive. When you're done, select "Done" to transfer the shows.
- If you connect the hard drive to anything but a DISH DVR after it has been formatted to run with the DISH system, you may lose all the content you have recorded on it.
- You can transfer shows from the hard drive to your DVR using the same menus as you use to transfer the shows to the hard drive. This way, you you can move shows between two or more DVRs that are on your DISH Network account.