How to Sync My iPhone With My Existing iTunes Account
When you transition to a new iPhone, you can import the content from your old device so you don't have to waste time setting up the new one. Using iCloud, you can do it all wirelessly, backing up your old iPhone and then using the restore tools to initialize the new iPhone. Apple also enables multi-device synchronizing in iTunes, so you can sync a new iPhone with your existing iTunes account even if you've synced other iOS devices with the account.
- ICloud Backup
- Tap Settings on the older iPhone and then iCloud
- Enter your Apple ID
- Tap Storage
- Tap Back Up Now
- ICloud Restore
- Follow the on-screen
- Restore from iCloud
- Select the appropriate iCloud backup point
- Let the device
- ITunes Syncing
- Connect the iPhone
- Select the iPhone from the list of available devices
- Configure the synchronization settings
- Click Apply to initiate the sync
1 ICloud Backup
2 Tap Settings on the older iPhone and then iCloud
Tap "Settings" on the older iPhone and then "iCloud."
3 Enter your Apple ID
Enter your Apple ID and password if prompted.
4 Tap Storage
Tap "Storage & Backup" and turn on iCloud Backup.
5 Tap Back Up Now
Tap "Back Up Now" to initiate a backup and let the device process the command. It could take several minutes depending on the amount of data contained in the backup and the speed of the Internet connection.
6 ICloud Restore
7 Follow the on-screen
Power on the new iPhone and follow the on-screen prompts to select your country, enable Location Services and connect to a Wi-Fi network.
8 Restore from iCloud
Tap "Restore from iCloud Backup" when prompted to set up the iPhone and log in with your Apple ID and password.
9 Select the appropriate iCloud backup point
Select the appropriate iCloud backup point from the dated list of all backups you have performed with iCloud and wait until the device has finished restoring. It may take several minutes depending on the amount of data to transfer and the speed of the data connection.
10 Let the device
Let the device restart when the restoration is complete.
11 ITunes Syncing
12 Connect the iPhone
Connect the iPhone to the computer using the included USB cable and wait for iTunes to automatically launch.
13 Select the iPhone from the list of available devices
Select the iPhone from the list of available devices. If you have more than one iOS device connected or present over Wi-Fi, select the appropriate iPhone.
14 Configure the synchronization settings
Configure the synchronization settings you wish to maintain. For example, you can disable music syncing in the Music tab or configure how you want to sync contacts and calendars in the Summary tab.
15 Click Apply to initiate the sync
Click "Apply" to initiate the sync.
- Information in this article applies to iTunes 11 and iPhones running iOS 6. It may vary slightly or significantly with other versions or products.
- You can also enable Wi-Fi syncing when connected to iTunes by selecting the "Summary" tab and checking the box next to "Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi." From then on, any time your computer and iPhone are on the same Wi-Fi network, the iPhone will appear in iTunes and be available for syncing without the USB cable needed.