The Bing toolbar was designed by Microsoft for its Internet Explorer Web browser, but it is not installed by default with the browser. If you, or another user, installed the Bing bar on your PC, it will be displayed near the top of the Internet Explorer window. Note that because the toolbar may be bundled with other programs, you may install it without even noticing. Furthermore, customized versions of Internet Explorer may contain the Bing bar. The toolbar is not installed by default in other Web browsers such as Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Safari. To get rid of the Bing Bar, disable the extension in Internet Explorer.
Open Internet Explorer, click the gear button and choose "Manage add-ons" from the menu to open the Manage Add-ons window. This window displays all toolbars, extensions, search providers and accelerators installed in Internet Explorer.
Click "Toolbars and Extensions" in the Add-on Types section to view only the toolbars and extensions and then scroll down to the Microsoft Corporation section.
Select the "Bing Bar" extension and then click the "Disable" button to display the Disable Add-on window.
Click the "Disable" button to confirm and disable the Bing Bar extension. Note that the Bing Bar Helper add-on is also disabled. Close the Manage Add-ons window.
- To display the Bing bar again, select it from the Manage Add-ons window and then click the "Enable" button.
- While you can disable it, you can't entirely remove the Bing toolbar from within Internet Explorer. To remove it, open the "Uninstall or change a program" section of the Control Panel, select the "Bing Bar" program and then click "Uninstall."
- To uninstall toolbars from Google Chrome, click the Chrome button, click "Settings," click "Extensions" and then click the trash icon to the right of the toolbar. To just disable the toolbar, click the "Enabled" check box.
- To uninstall toolbars from Mozilla Firefox, click the "Firefox" button, click "Add-ons," click the "Extensions" tab and then click the "Remove" button to the right of the toolbar. To disable the toolbar instead of removing it, click the "Disable" button.
- Information in this article applies to Internet Explorer 11. Procedures may vary slightly or significantly with other versions or products.
- Comstock/Stockbyte/Getty Images