How to Transfer Photos From a Rebel EOS to a Computer
Unlike most cameras and other storage devices, the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi camera does not appear as a storage device in Windows when you connect it to your computer using the USB cable. Canon configured the camera to prevent Windows from installing the correct drivers and connecting the camera as an external storage device. To transfer photos from the Rebel EOS to the computer, you need to use Canon's proprietary software. You can find the software on the CD that came with the camera or download it from Canon.
- Canon EOS Utility
1 Connect the Rebel EOS
Connect the Rebel EOS to the computer using the USB cable that came with the camera and turn on the camera.
2 Launch the Canon EOS Utility software
Launch the Canon EOS Utility software if it doesn't start automatically. The program will connect to the Rebel EOS in a matter of seconds.
3 Click the
Click the "Starts to Download Images" button if you want to transfer all the photos on the camera to a folder on your hard drive. If you want to transfer just some of the photos, click the "Lets You Select and Download Images" and then check the images you want to download and click "Download."
4 Click Destination Folder
Click "Destination Folder" and select the destination folder. Click "OK" to transfer the photos to the folder.
5 Close the Canon EOS Utility program
Close the Canon EOS Utility program, turn the camera off and then disconnect the camera from the computer.
- Ensure you have enough battery before you attempt to transfer the photos; you can transfer photos while the camera is charging.
- Do not disconnect the camera from the computer or turn off the camera or computer while the photo transfer is in progress.
- If you have a card reader, you can simply insert the camera's memory card into the reader, select the photos you want to transfer, press "Ctrl-C" to copy them to the clipboard, select the destination folder and press "Ctrl-V" to paste them into the folder.
- Photos are organized into folders based on their shooting date.
- To download the Canon EOS Utility, navigate to the Canon EOS Rebel XSi Black page (link in Resources), click "Software," click "EOS Utility 2.13.21 Updater for Windows" and then click "I Agree - Begin Download."