A great deal of paperwork is necessary to marry someone from abroad.

Marrying a foreigner in America is a long process. There is a ton of paperwork involved, but some steps need to be taken for a person in this country to marry someone from abroad.

Meet the person you intend to marry. You must have met in person at least once in the past two years.

File a Petition for Alien Fiance in order for your loved one abroad to be able to travel to America and marry. This form is filed with the Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigrations Services office in the area where you live. It cannot be filed abroad. When the U.S. Citizenship and Immigrations Services office approves the petition, it sends it to the National Visa Center for the paperwork to be processed.

Have your fiance abroad apply for a K-1 non-immigrant visa in the country where she lives.

Apply for a Visa. This is important because it allows the person to be able to enter into America and be able to marry her loved one in America.

Have your foreign fiance take a medical examination along with getting her fingerprints taken. The person applying for the Visa will be required to provide the following documents: a birth certificate, a passport that is valid for at least six months past the period of your intended stay in America, a divorce decree or death certificate, if applicable, a list of all places that you lived at since age 16, evidence that there is a relationship between both parties, and evidence of financial support. After you get the Visa, you can enter America via a port of entry.

Things Needed

  • ['Single-status letter', 'Original passport', 'Passport photocopy', 'Picture ID', 'Visa']


  • You must get married within 90 days of your entry into the U.S. After you get married, your intended must file a form called Application to Register Permanent Residence with the USCIS office in the state you reside. Understand this process can take a while. Your application starts at the bottom of a stack, and it is handled once it has made its way to the top. The U.S. requires that anyone coming into America to get vaccinations.


  • There are several fees involved in the process of marrying a person from another country. There is a fee for filing the Alien Fiance Petition, processing fee for the visa application, medical exam fee, fingerprinting fee, filing fee for the Application to Register Permanent Residence, as well as other minor fees such as photocopying charges. Your fiance may not be permitted to enter America if they are involved in drug trafficking, have HIV or AIDS, are already married in their home country or submit false documents.