How to Obtain Past Military Pay Records

Retrieving historical pay records will require a phone call to DFAS.

Once a service member has been released from duty, it becomes more difficult to obtain historical records. Current military members can view their pay records online, but that system works only for current members. As with other historical pay records, it is necessary to contact a particular department. In the case of pay records, the department is the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS). It will likely take more than one day to receive the information.

Call 888-DFAS411 to speak to a customer service representative.

Tell the customer service representative that you are a prior military member and need copies of your historical pay records.

Give the customer service representative your full name, date of birth and Social Security number in order for him to look up your records.

Ask the representative to either fax or mail to you copies of your past military pay records.

Amy Romero has been writing since 2009. Her articles appear on eHow, where she specializes in pet training, gardening, environmental, health and safety and wellness topics. Romero has a Bachelor of Science in psychology from the New York Institute of Technology.