How to Connect an Apple Computer to a Wireless Verizon FiOS Modem
An Apple computer equipped with Wi-Fi can connect to a Verizon FiOS modem wirelessly if the modem has a built-in wireless access point; otherwise, the FiOS modem most be connected to a wireless router to complete the connection. FiOS modem combo units make the setup and configuration process easier, but are not the only way to share a wireless Internet connection over multiple computers. Wireless routers include a Wi-Fi access point to add wireless options to an otherwise wired network. If you using a modem without a built-in router, run through the steps in section 2 to configure the router and modem before going through the steps in section 1.
- How to Connect an Apple Computer to a Wireless Network
- On the Apple computer
- Select the Network option from the System Preferences window
- Click the Wi-Fi option in the network connection services list
- Select the Advanced'' option
- Choose Wi-Fi and look for your Verizon FiOS router modem combo unit
- Click the plus sign next
- Click on the AirPort menu
- Select the connection
- Enter the network password
- How to Connect a Wireless Router to a FiOS Modem Without a Built-in Router
- Place the wireless router
- Follow the wireless router's
- Enable Wi-Fi during the router configuration process
- Wi-Fi router (optional)
- Ethernet Cable (optional)
1 How to Connect an Apple Computer to a Wireless Network
2 On the Apple computer
On the Apple computer, click on the Apple Menu and launch the "System Preferences."
3 Select the Network option from the System Preferences window
Select the "Network" option from the System Preferences window.
4 Click the Wi-Fi option in the network connection services list
Click the "Wi-Fi" option in the network connection services list.
5 Select the Advanced'' option
Select the "Advanced" option.
6 Choose Wi-Fi and look for your Verizon FiOS router modem combo unit
Choose "Wi-Fi" and look for your Verizon FiOS router/modem combo unit or the dedicated wireless router from the available local Wi-Fi connections.
7 Click the plus sign next
Click the plus sign next to the connection to set it as a preferred network and exit the menu.
8 Click on the AirPort menu
Click on the "AirPort" menu.
9 Select the connection
Select the connection configured in the previous steps from the list.
10 Enter the network password
Enter the network password if prompted to complete the network setup. The Mac will default to the Verizon FiOS modem's network.
11 How to Connect a Wireless Router to a FiOS Modem Without a Built-in Router
12 Place the wireless router
Place the wireless router near the FiOS modem, plug the router's power cable into an available outlet, connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the router's "WAN" port and connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to the FiOS modem's Ethernet port.
13 Follow the wireless router's
Follow the wireless router's unit-specific setup instructions included with the device. The wireless router may need to be connected to the computer via Ethernet cable for the initial configuration. The router will either contain setup software or instructions on how to access the router through the computer and run the configuration wizard.
14 Enable Wi-Fi during the router configuration process
Enable Wi-Fi during the router configuration process; the router will automatically configure itself to work with the FiOS modem and split the connection.
- If you don't configure a password for the Wi-Fi connection, anyone with a compatible Wi-Fi adapter will be able to connect to your network.
- This guide assumes that the Verizon FiOS modem is already connected to the Internet and properly configured. The router's interface is accessed through an IP address in the web browser, making the router configuration platform agnostic between PCs and Macs. Steps 7, 8 and 9 of section 1 are the only ones required in a minimal configuration; the first six steps set the default network and prevent conflicts with any other open Wi-Fi networks in range of the computer.