If your clothes are an extension of yourself, a sweaty hat doesn't sent the right message. Giving your fitted cap a proper cleaning while maintaining its structure can be a challenge. Popular advice suggests tossing it in the dishwasher or washing machine, but the end result can be a shrunken hat that will make you feel like you dropped the ball. However, a good scrub under running water can be all it takes to remove the stains left behind by a long day.
Run warm water in the sink.
Gently rub the hat's sweat stains with a soapy cloth.
Rinse off the cap with cool water to remove all the soap.
Air dry the hat.
Soak in the Sink
Fill up the sink with a mixture of cool water and mild laundry or dish washing detergent.
Submerge your hat in the sink for 10 seconds.
Rinse off your cap with cool water.
Use a towel to absorb the excess water by rolling the hat slowly up and down the towel.
Dry it off as much as possible, and then wear your hat until it is completely dry so it keeps the correct form.
Things You Will Need
- Mild laundry or dishwashing detergent
- You can use a wool detergent if your fitted cap is made of wool.
- Check the cleaning instructions on your hat's tag before washing it.
- Submerging your hat in water can alter the its shape and size, so try hand washing first.
- Do not use bleach or products that contain bleach alternative, because these can stain your hat.
- Do not wash your hat in the dishwasher or washing machine -- the hot water can shrink the size of your cap.
- Drying your hat in the dryer under high heat can also shrink your hat.
- Jupiterimages/Creatas/Getty Images