How to Get Natural, White-Looking Teeth
White teeth project everything from youth to success to employability, according to a 2013 study reported by the Daily Mail and toothpaste manufacturer Oral B. While regular dental hygiene serves as the essential first step to whiter teeth, whitening kits, special toothpastes and all sorts of chemical products promise to brighten up your smile. Getting white teeth the natural way, however, takes a combination of methods, all of which you can incorporate into your regular care routine.
Start every morning with a gargle. Simply gargle with all-natural apple cider vinegar to whiten your teeth, cut back on stains and kill harmful bacteria.
Go electric. Compared to manual toothbrushes, electric toothbrushes remove stains embedded on the exteriors of teeth, including food, tobacco and smoke stains, more effectively. Brush for at least two minutes to maximize plaque removal.
Choose organic or natural whitening or brightening toothpastes for your day-to-day cleaning. Look for ingredients such as sodium fluoride, silica, seaweed or bicarb soda.
Substitute baking soda for your toothpaste once per week. Like apple cider vinegar, this natural trick helps reduce stains, leading to whiter chompers.
Incorporate kaolin clay into your dental hygiene regimen. This gently abrasive, organically derived substance acts as a natural whitening agent. Like baking soda, you can use it in place of toothpaste. Use this treatment once per week.
Avoid habits that can stain your teeth. Stay away from smoking, and pass on red wine, colas, black teas, dark sauces and gravies, and dark juices. If you do take in any of these drinks, use a straw to reduce the potential for stains, and brush immediately afterward. Likewise, eat foods that naturally clean and whiten teeth such as popcorn, apples, carrots, spinach, kale, broccoli and celery.
- Always consult with your dentist before using a teeth-whitening product or process, and follow any instructions or warnings provided by the manufacturers of the products, natural or otherwise.
- Add a drop or so of mint or clove essential oil to your baking soda and kaolin clay remedies for fresher breath.
- Prevention is key to maintaining a white smile. In addition to your regular oral hygiene regimen, simply swish water in your mouth for about 30 seconds after each meal to prevent unflattering stains.
- 1 Daily Mail: White Teeth Can Make You Look Five Years Younger..and Even Get You a Job (and Holly Willoughby has the Most Sought-After Smile)
- 2 Readers Digest: 10 Tips for Healthy, White Teeth
- 3 Woman's Day: 10 Tips for Whiter Teeth
- 4 Good Housekeeping: Whiten Your Teeth at Home
- 5 Woman's Day: 10 Natural Ways to Get (or Fake) Whiter Teeth.ca: 6 Tips for Whiter Teeth