How to Appeal a School Suspension

Parents have the right to appeal school suspensions.

Educational institutions have procedures in place to protect students and staff. It is the job of a school’s administrative team to enforce these procedures and to discipline students in violation of them. When an incident at school involving your child results in suspension, you will likely investigate the situation. After you investigate, you have the right to file an appeal if you believe that your child's suspension is unwarranted.

Gather all relevant information pertaining to the situation. Speak to your child, your child’s teacher and everyone involved in the incident. Request a written statement from witnesses and a copy of the discipline referral from the school's main office.

Request a meeting with the school principal. Bring your child to the meeting and invite your witnesses. Present all of the information that you gathered and explain why you feel the suspension is unfair.

File an official appeal if the principal does not lift your child’s suspension. Visit the Superintendent’s office in your school's district, fill out a suspension appeal form and request a hearing date.

Attend the appeals hearing. Have your child and at least one witness present. Submit your documents to the hearing officer and state your case.

Receive notification of the decision. The hearing officer will make a decision at the hearing or will notify you by mail if further investigation is necessary. If the officer grants your appeal, the suspension will be lifted. If your appeal is denied, the decision to suspend your child is final.

  • If you are requesting a written statement from a minor, contact the child's parent for permission prior to obtaining the statement.

Before starting her writing career, Tanya Brown worked as an eighth-grade language arts teacher. She also has a background in nursing, with extensive experience in urology, neurology and neurosurgery clinics. Brown holds a bachelor's degree in psychology and is pursuing her master’s degree in educational psychology.