Regardless of your reason for choosing to write, properly addressing your letter to the U.S. Secretary of State ensures it arrives at the correct location. However, given his busy schedule, it's highly unlikely that John Kerry will personally read and respond to your written correspondence. It's possible that you'll receive mail back from a Department of State staffer.
Place your return address on the top left of the envelope. It should include your name, delivery address, city, state and ZIP code. You can use a stick-on label or write the information yourself.
Write the proper form of address, name and title of the current Secretary of State on the first three lines on the middle of the envelope. As of 2015, write: The Honorable John F. Kerry Secretary of State
Write the mailing address for the U.S. Department of State on the next three lines. The address is as follows: U.S. Department of State 2201 C Street NW Washington, DC 20520
If you wish to write to the Secretary of State digitally, you can fill out a contact form on the U.S. Department of State's website.
Do not write anything on the envelope below the bottom line of the address. Doing so can cause the mail processing machine to misread the address.
- U.S. Department of State: Secretary of State John F.Kerry
- U.S. Postal Service: Business Mail 101: Return Address
- U.S. Department of State: Contact Us
- U.S. Postal Service: Business Mail 101: Delivery Address
- The Protocol School of Washington's Honor & Respect: How to Address a Secretary of a United States Executive Department: A Member of the President's Cabinet
- Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images News/Getty Images