It makes sense to play it safe with makeup at school or work, but you can only wear neutral colors so many times before it gets boring. When it's time for girls' night out, jazz up your look with a dash of sparkly glitter. Glitter looks glamorous on your lips, plus it comes in dozens of colors, so you're sure to find something that matches your outfit. By itself, glitter won't stay on your lips for long. You need to stick it in place with some gloss.
Apply your favorite lip gloss to your lips. The color of lip gloss to use depends on the color of your glitter. For example, if you're using red glitter, you might also want to use red lip gloss. Clear lip gloss works with any color glitter.
Sprinkle a pinch of translucent powder over your lips. This sets the gloss and helps the glitter adhere to your lips.
Dip a thin-tipped brush into a container of fine glitter. If you don't have a brush, you can also use your fingertip.
Pat your lips with the brush or your finger to apply a thin layer of glitter. Put a little bit of glitter on at first. If the effect isn't sparkly enough, add more glitter until you're satisfied with the result.
Things You Will Need
- Lip gloss
- Translucent powder
- Fine glitter
- You may need to reapply the glitter after eating or drinking.
- You can make your own glittery lip gloss; combine grated beeswax, almond oil and honey in a heat-safe bowl, melt the ingredients in a microwave, then add some fine glitter to the mixture and stir to blend. Dip your finger into the mixture and spread a small amount over your lips. To store your homemade glitter balm, keep it in an empty lip gloss container.
- Shop at a craft store for the widest selection of glitter colors.
- Do not get glitter near your eyes. Glitter can cause severe eye irritation.
- Pixland/Pixland/Getty Images