How to Check on What You Owe in Child Support in Texas

Child support is used toward the care and support of minor children.

The office of the Texas Attorney General helps parents and caregivers in the child support process. The office can help establish paternity, obtain an order for support and collect support. In addition to these services, the office can help locate a missing parent. If you are the noncustodial parent, it is your responsibility to keep up with how much child support is owed. You can check the amount that you owe online or by phone.

1 Online

Access the website of the Texas Attorney General. Select "Child Support" from the top menu, then click the link in the menu on the right to access the "Child Support Interactive" online tool.

Click “Noncustodial Parent Login” and enter your member ID and the last four digits of your Social Security number. If you do not know your member ID, you can contact the Child Support Enforcement Division at 800-252-8014 and request the ID. It will be mailed to you within seven business days.

Select “Payments/Case Status” and scroll down to the section labeled “Arrears.” The amount listed is what you currently owe. If there are any pending actions against you regarding the amount owed, it will be listed under “Case Status.”

2 Telephone

Call the Child Support Enforcement Division automated service at 800-252-8014. The service is available 24 hours a day.

Select your language preference and press “1” to indicate you are a parent calling about your case.

Select “Noncustodial Parent” and press the option to indicate you would like information on your case.

Enter your eight-digit member ID number and the last four digits of your Social Security number.

Select “Case Status” to hear the amount you currently owe.

Maya Walker began writing professionally in 2008. Her articles have appeared on a variety of websites, covering technology, personal finance, music and health topics. Walker is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in English at Stephen F. Austin University in Texas.