When students fall behind academically, they face the possibility of repeating a year of school. For students in their junior or senior year of high school, this can delay their graduation. The possibility of not graduating on time causes many students to consider alternative methods to make up high school credits. Oftentimes, this requires students to take courses in addition to their regular classes, which many students are willing to do to graduate on time.

Attend summer school. Core subjects, such as reading, language arts, math and science, are generally taught during the summer. Take as many of these courses as you can comfortably fit into your schedule. Summer school classes hold the same academic weight as courses taught during the school year.

Enroll in a community college or an adult education center. Many community schools and adult education centers offer courses that high school juniors and seniors can take to make up failing grades. Courses are typically available in the evenings and on weekends. During the summer months when you are out of school, you can enroll in day classes. As you complete courses, have the school transfer information about your earned credits to your high school.

Take online courses throughout the school year or during the summer months. Many schools systems have programs that allow students to attend class online. These courses can accelerate your education or help you "catch up." Arrange a meeting with your guidance counselor to find out the number of credits you need, and how to sign up for online classes.