Communication engineering includes the theory and use of communication systems to transfer information. The best communication engineering programs were ranked in 2010 to 2013 by “U.S. News and World Report” for electrical, electronic and communications engineering. These rankings are validated for electrical, electronic and computer engineering by “The Wall Street Journal,” QS Top Universities and Academic Ranking of World Universities.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
The School of Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Massachusetts, offers a bachelor's degree program in Electrical Science and Engineering or a doctoral program in Information Systems. Both allow the student to tailor their program in communication engineering. These programs are taught by award-winning faculty that, with their students, developed communication advances, such as Remy, a congestion control system, and played a major part in the development of the World Wide Web. The institute ranked first in electrical and electronic engineering and eighth for all engineering, according to "The Wall Street Journal."
The Information Systems and Science program at Stanford University's School of Engineering leads to a Master of Science or Ph.D. with the ability to design a program of study in communications. The programs are taught by award-winning faculty that challenge students to achieve, leading to awards and honors. Such innovation include cell phone technology that uses implanted medical devices small enough to move through the blood-stream and communicate biological functions. The extensive research interests of the school and department, including multiple centers, such as the Brown Institute for Media Innovation, with its focus on how stories are discovered and told in a networked, digitized medium, supports a consistent ranking of one of the top two schools for electrical, electronic and communications engineering.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign offers a graduate program leading to the master's or Ph.D. with specialization in communications. The department features award-winning faculty and students for research and innovation. The department actively solicits corporate partners and sponsors, providing faculty experts and students who are at the cutting-edge of engineering. The university ranked in the top five schools world-wide. Faculty and students work together on such topics as nonlinear systems, optical communications and robotics, receiving awards for innovative solutions and extensive publication of their findings.
Georgia Institute of Technology
The School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology of Atlanta provides master's and doctoral programs with the ability to specialize in communications, that are taught by award-winning faculty. Students design their program, including working with research and technical interest areas, such as the Digital Signal Processing group. The institute ranked in the top ten schools, with the "The Wall Street Journal" ranking it first for overall engineering. The extensive research interests within the department support these rankings, such as the department's Broadband and Wireless Networking Laboratory with projects like sensors for oil well drilling.
- IEEE Communications Society
- The Wall Street Journal: Management, Paths to Profession, Rankings by Major
- QS Top Universities: QS World University Rankings by Subject 2013, Engineering, Electrical and Electronic
- Academic Ranking of World Universities: Academic Ranking of World Universities in Engineering/Technology and Computer Sciences, 2013
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology: School of Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Course 6-1, Electrical Science and Engineering
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology: School of Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Area I, Information Systems
- Stanford University: Engineering, Education, Electrical Engineering
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Engineering, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Students, Graduate Study Manual
- Georgia Institute of Technology: College of Engineering, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Academics, Graduate Studies at ECE
- Kim Steele/Photodisc/Getty Images