Financial managers oversee the financial outlook of an organization. They prepare reports and forecasts to discuss the present finances of a company and predict future goals. The Occupational Outlook Handbook stated that the job market for financial managers is expected to grow more slowly than the national average for the next seven years. Many colleges, including several in Ohio, have finance management degrees.
Ohio State University and Ohio University
Ohio State University's business school offers a degree in finance. Incoming freshmen may be able to enter the finance program without taking introductory courses depending on their grades and test scores. A Management and Industry Exploration program is available to undergraduates who want to explore the major before they commit to it. A master's degree in finance is also available. Ohio State is ranked in the top 100 schools in "U.S. News & World Report" and "Forbes" and in the top 50 schools by "Washington Monthly." Ohio University's students learn in communities of around 20 students as freshmen. After freshman year, students begin coursework toward a finance degree. Students who major in finance choose corporate finance, investments or financial planning. Ohio University is ranked in the top 150 universities by "U.S. News & World Report." The university is also ranked in the top 400 schools by "Forbes."
Ohio Wesleyan University and Ohio Northern University
Ohio Wesleyan University, ranked in the top 100 liberal arts colleges by "U.S. News & World Report," listed in the "Forbes" list of America's Top Colleges, and in the top 100 liberal arts colleges by "Washington Monthly" magazine. Ohio Wesleyan has degrees in corporate finance and management finance. First-year students apply to be fellows, which allows them to take special classes, attend networking events and fly to New York City for an educational field trip. Upperclassmen may apply to live in a residence on campus for economics and business majors. Students at Ohio Northern University can major in management and minor in finance. All Ohio Northern University students are required to complete an internship in their field prior to graduation. The university is ranked in the "Forbes" list of top colleges, and second in "U.S. News & World Report's" list of regional colleges.
Notre Dame College of Ohio, Ohio Dominican University
Students at Notre Dame College of Ohio can choose to major in management and minor in financial services. Also, some students may design a major, which would allow them to pick and choose which financial management courses would allow them to reach their career goals. Notre Dame College of Ohio is ranked in the top 100 regional Midwest colleges by "U.S. News & World Report" and "The Princeton Review." At Ohio Dominican University, ranked by both "U.S. News & World Report" and "The Princeton Review" as a top 100 regional Midwest college, has flexible day and evening classes for finance students at the bachelor's and master's levels.
Case Western Reserve University and Miami University of Oxford
Case Western Reserve University, ranked among the top universities by "Forbes," "U.S. News & World Report" and "Washington Monthly" magazine, has graduate and undergraduate programs in finance. Students may also minor in management, with opportunities for international management internships in Germany, France or China. Miami University of Oxford ranked in the top universities by "Forbes," "U.S. News & World Report" and "Washington Monthly," allows students to study in a multidisciplinary program in addition to finance and management, such as law, insurance, banking, investments or real estate.
- United States Department of Labor: Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook: Financial Managers
- Ohio State University: Undergraduate Majors: Finance
- Ohio State University: Graduate School: Fisher College of Business: Specialized Master: Finance
- U. S. News & World Report: Best Colleges: Ohio
- Forbes: America's Top Colleges: Ohio
- Washington Monthly: College Guide Rankings
- Ohio University: College of Business: Finance Department
- Ohio University: Learning Communities
- Ohio Wesleyan University: Finance Economics
- Ohio Northern University: College of Business Administration: Areas of Study
- Ohio Northern University: College of Business Administration: Experiential Learning
- Notre Dame College of Ohio: Business Administration
- Notre Dame College of Ohio: Individually Designed Majors
- Princeton Review: Best Midwestern Schools 2014
- Ohio Dominican University: Academics: Finance
- University of Northwestern Ohio: Business Administration
- Case Western Reserve University: Weatherhead: International Management
- Miami University of Oxford: Finance Majors
- Photos.com/Photos.com/Getty Images