According to U.S. News and World Report, attending a top school of sports management is critical to being recruited in the field at a national level. Although second-tier schools have strong local networks, nationally recognized top schools have established career channels into competitive employers. Fortunately, top schools of sports management are located in every region of the country, making finding the right fit easy.
According to the Education Portal, some of the top sports management programs in the northeast include Endicott College, SUNY Cortland and West Chester University of Pennsylvania. The program at Endicott College in Massachusetts, for example, has had recent students complete internships with the Boston Bruins, the New England Patriots and at Madison Square Garden. SUNY Cortland, meanwhile, offers numerous classes on the transnational perspective of sports management. This includes courses like "Cross-Cultural Perspectives Abroad in Sports Management."
Sports Management in the South
In the South, the shining programs of sports management include those at the University of Tampa, Tulane University and the University of Texas at Austin. At the University of Texas, students in sports management can choose from numerous minors that complement their degree. These include minors in Business Administration or Psychology. Meanwhile, the University of Tampa's program strongly encourages students to study abroad to build global perspective on sports management. This includes a semester-long course that travels to countries like Germany, Switzerland and France.
Top Midwestern Schools
In the midwest, top programs for sports management include the University of Michigan and Alice Lloyd College. The University of Michigan's program is part of the university's kinesiology school. Recent graduates of the program have gone on to work for employers including the New York Yankees, Microsoft, the National Basketball Association and the National Hockey League. In Kentucky, Alice Lloyd College also provides a top program where students can take courses in everything from management to physical education.
Best Sports Management of the West
The west's leading sports management programs can be found at the University of Tulsa and the University of Mary Hardin - Baylor. The University of Tulsa's program is unique because it is a sports science major offered by the university's school of business. This gives an interesting perspective on sports management, because it is a management program with a focus on sports-related health and fitness issues. At the University of Mary Hardin - Baylor, students have the option of choosing to complete their degree in sports management as either a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Arts, which impacts the curriculum of the degree.
- Education Portal: Top Schools with Sports Management Programs in the U.S.
- Endicott College: School of Sports Science and Fitness Studies: Sport Management
- SUNY Cortland: Sports Management [SPMG]: Requirements for Sports Management Majors Seeking a Bachelor's of Arts
- The University of Texas at Austin: Sports Management
- The University of Tampa: Sports Management Abroad
- University of Michigan: School of Kinesiology: Alumni Career Profiles
- Alice Lloyd College: Bachelor of Arts in Sports and Fitness Programs Management
- The University of Tulsa: Collins College of Business: Undergraduate Majors and Minors: Exercise and Sports Science Major Requirements
- University of Mary Hardin - Baylor: Sports Management Major
- Ryan McVay/Digital Vision/Getty Images