How to Get Rid of Unsorted Bookmarks in Firefox
When you use the transparent star icon on Firefox's address bar to create a saved Web page link, the browser adds the bookmark to the Unsorted Bookmarks folder for future sorting instead of to the Bookmarks toolbar or Bookmarks Menu folder. Mozilla provides two methods to manage saved unsorted bookmarks. If you want to delete just a few unsorted bookmarks, the Bookmarks sidebar is your best bet; if you are interested in deleting most, or all, of your unsorted bookmarks, then the Bookmarks Library window will be the easiest method.
1 Bookmarks Sidebar
2 Click the Display Your Bookmarks button Display Your Bookmarks labeled
Click the “Display Your Bookmarks” button -- labeled with an uncolored star on a gray background -- on the Navigation toolbar to open the Bookmarks sidebar on the left side of the browser. If your button instead opens a drop-down menu, right-click the Navigation toolbar and select "Customize." Click and drag the other "Bookmarks" icon up to the toolbar, click "Done" and then use that button to access the Bookmarks sidebar.
3 Select the Unsorted Bookmarks option
Select the “Unsorted Bookmarks” option to display a sub-menu of all the bookmarks saved in the Unsorted Bookmarks folder.
4 Right click
Right-click a bookmark you want to delete and then select the “Delete” option. Repeat with other bookmarks as desired.
5 Click the Display Your Bookmarks button
Click the “Display Your Bookmarks” button to close the sidebar.
6 Bookmarks Library
7 Click the Firefox button
Click the “Firefox” button and then click the “Bookmarks” option to open the Library window.
8 Select the Unsorted Bookmarks folder
Select the Unsorted Bookmarks folder on the window's left sidebar to show your current saved unsorted bookmarks.
9 Sort the bookmarks
Sort the bookmarks so you can review them. Right-click “Unsorted Bookmarks” and select “Sort By Name" or click “View,” roll your cursor over “Sort” and select a sorting option.
10 Click and drag any unsorted bookmarks
Click and drag any unsorted bookmarks you want to keep from the Unsorted Bookmarks pane to the Bookmarks Toolbar or Bookmarks Menu folders on the left sidebar.
11 To select all the remaining unsorted bookmarks
Press “Ctrl-A” to select all the remaining unsorted bookmarks and then press the “Delete” key to get rid of them.
12 Click the X button
Click the “X” button to close the Library window.
- The Bookmarks sidebar doesn't allow you to mass delete unsorted bookmarks. Instead, you must use the Library window.
- Firefox features two nearly identical "Display Your Bookmarks" buttons -- one as mentioned and one also marked with a down arrow. Right-click the Navigation toolbar and select "Customize" to add or delete either button from your toolbar.
- Information in this article applies to Firefox 26 as of February 2014. It may vary slightly or significantly with other versions or products.
- To save a bookmark to the Bookmarks toolbar or Bookmarks Menu folder instead of the Unsorted Bookmarks folder, click a website’s icon in the address bar and drag it to the toolbar or the Bookmarks Menu folder on the toolbar.
- If the Bookmarks Menu folder isn’t on the toolbar, open the Library window and click and drag “Bookmarks Menu” up to the bar.
- 1 Mozilla Support: Firefox -- How to Use Bookmarks to Save and Organize Your Favorite Websites
- 2 Mozilla Support: Firefox -- Sort Your Bookmarks to Quickly Find the Ones You Want
- 3 Mozilla Support: Firefox -- Bookmarks Toolbar - Display Your Favorite Websites at the Top of the Firefox Window
- 4 Mozilla Support: Firefox -- Navigation Buttons Like Back, Home, Bookmarks and Reload Are Missing