With over 30 universities offering courses in music and a rich musical history, Germany has many opportunities for advanced music study in performance, pedagogy and musicology. Some of the best schools are located in cities like Dresden and Leipzig with world-class orchestras. These universities have an easy time attracting guest artists, giving students the ability to study with top-notch musicians from all over the world.
Hochschule für Musik und Theater Hannover
According to thee website of the Hochschule für Musik und Theater Hannover, over 1,400 international students study at the college. With 350 teachers, the student to faculty ratio is an impressive four to one. It has over 30 programs of study for actors, media scientists, musicians, music teachers and musicologists. Internationally recognized artists visit the university to give master classes, lecture series and seminars. The university focuses on chamber music, contemporary music, opera, orchestral playing and piano but also offers courses in more offbeat topics like gender in music and medicine for musicians.
Hochschule für Musik und Theater Hannover Emmichplatz 1 D-30175 Hannover 011-49-511-3100-1 hmt-hannover.de
Hochschule für Musik Carl Maria von Weber Dresden
The Hochschule für Musik Carl Maria von Weber Dresden enrolls 600 musicians per year. The college attracts 70 percent of their students from Germany and the other 30 percent from the rest of the world. The university began as a training institution for the Dresdener Philharmonie, known internationally as the Dresden Symphony Orchestra, and became a university in 1959. In addition to classical music, the university teaches pedagogy and contemporary, jazz, rock and pop music.
Hochschule für Musik Dresden Wettiner Platz 13 01067 Dresden 011-49-351-4923-641 hfmdd.de
Hochschule für Musik und Theater Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy Leipzig
The Hochschule für Musik und Theater Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy Leipzig is the oldest music college in Germany, founded by Felix Medelssohn in 1843 as the Conservatorium der Musik. The university uses its neighboring artistic institutions like the Gewandhausorchestra, Leipzig Opera House, Schauspiel Theater Company and St. Thomas Boys Choir to round out their teaching staff. Attending concerts by their teachers can help inspire music college students. In addition to performance, the university offers classes on early music, dramaturgy, music education and popular music. In addition, the affiliated Church Music Institute teaches religious music.
Hochschule für Musik und Theater Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy Leipzig Grassistraße 8 04107 Leipzig 011-49-341-214-55 hmt-leipzig.de
- Sibelius Academy: Music Institutes, Music Schools and Music Departments
- Worldwide Internet Music Resources: Schools of Music
- Hochschule für Musik und Theater Hannover: History and Profile
- Hochschule für Musik Carl Maria von Weber Dresden: Welcome!
- Hochschule für Musik und Theater Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy Leipzig: Our invitation to the University of Music & Theatre Leipzig
- orchestra image by Pedro Luis from Fotolia.com