How to Learn to Speak English Faster
English can be a difficult language to learn, but there are certain things you can do to learn the language a lot faster. Even people who do not have a natural talent for learning new languages can master English as long as they make a real effort and take the time to find opportunities to practice speaking, reading and writing in English.
Take a class that teaches beginning English. These classes are commonly called "English as a Second Language," or "ESL." The teachers of these classes have the experience to teach a variety of students the essentials of the English language, regardless of the students' primary language.
Buy an English audio or DVD course. You can review these classes in your spare time and learn quite a bit, but if you are serious about wanting to learn English faster, then you will want to review the course at every opportunity. Buy an audio course and listen to it in the car or while working, if possible. The higher the quality of the course, the faster you'll learn.
Practice speaking English with other people, preferably with native English speakers. Make friends with people who do not speak your native language, but who are willing to help you learn English by having simple conversations with you. You will probably be surprised at how quickly you can start having entire conversations in English.
Watch television shows or movies that are in English, and which do not have subtitles in your native language. Pay attention to the dialogue and try to figure out what the actors are saying. Congratulate yourself when you are able to pick out certain words and phrases that you understand.
Read newspapers, books and magazines that are printed in English. At first they won't make much sense, but as your knowledge grows so will your understanding of written English.
- English has certain terms that may be derogatory if not used in the proper context.
- Don't give up! English is not an easy language to learn, so you should celebrate when you meet milestones like carrying on an entire conversation.
- 1 Business English (ESL); Abridged, Audiobook, Unabridged Paperback; Living Language (Author)
- 2 English the American Way: A Fun ESL Guide to Language and Culture in the U.S. w/Audio CD; Sheila MacKechnie Murtha M.A. (Author), Jane Airey O'Connor M.Ed. (Author)
- 3 English for the Real World (ESL) Audiobook, Unabridged, Audio CD; Living Language (Author)