How to Obtain a Birth Certificate From Spain

Obtain a Birth Certificate From Spain

If an American citizen has a child while living in Spain, he or she needs to report the birth to the nearest U.S. Consulate before the child turns 18. Once the birth has been reported, the consulate will issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America, also called a Consular Report of Birth or FS-240. As soon as the registration of the birth has been approved, the consulate will issue an original copy of the FS-240 to the parents. If you need to get a copy of this certificate once you have returned to the U.S., you will need to apply through the U.S. Department of State.

Write a letter requesting a copy of the FS-240. The letter must include the child's full name at birth (along with any adopted names); the names of the parents; the date and place of the birth; serial number of the FS-240 (if you know it); and any available passport information for the parents and the child.

Sign the letter and have it notarized.

Photocopy your valid photo ID and include the photocopy with the letter of request.

Purchase a money order, or write a check from a U.S. bank account for $30. Make it payable to "Department of State."

Mail the letter of request and payment to:

Vital Records Section Passport Services 1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 510 Washington, D.C. 20522-1705

Melissa Sandoval began writing professionally in 1996, dabbling in fiction and writing for new media and magazines. She has published work in "mental_floss magazine" and on websites such as TLC Family and TLC Style. Sandoval has work published in English and Spanish, including online topics guides en Español. Sandoval has a Bachelor of Arts in psychology from Wittenberg University.