Tumblr is a flexible blogging platform that allows you to use HTML to insert elements in most sections of your blog, even if specific blog elements, such as the Description box, don't have an HTML mode when you edit them. For example, you can use HTML to insert a GIF into the description of your blog. You need to use a single tag to insert the image, so you don't need to be an HTML expert.
Locate the URL of the GIF you want to insert into the description. If the GIF is not on the Internet, you must upload it to an image sharing website, and then copy its URL to the clipboard. After you select the URL of the image, press "Ctrl-C" to copy it to the clipboard.
Log in to your Tumblr account, and then click the "Customize" button on the Dashboard. Locate the Description box in the toolbox to the left.
Click inside the Description box, and then type "<img src=" (without the quotation marks) in the spot where you want the image to appear.
Insert a quotation mark, and then press "Ctrl-V" to paste the image URL from the clipboard. Insert another quotation mark immediately after the URL, and end the tag with the ">" symbol:
Click the "Save" button to save and apply the changes. You can preview the changes in the right pane.
- You can control the width and height of the picture after you insert it into the description.
- To change the width and height of the image, add the "width=Size_in_Pixels" and "height=Size_in_Pixels" parameters to the IMG tag. For example, to change the size of the image to 100 by 100 pixels, the IMG tag must look like this:
- There are dozens of image sharing websites on the Internet that you can use to insert a GIF image from your hard drive into your Tumblr blog.
- You can break the layout of your blog if you use large GIF images. Preview the changes before you click "Save." If the image is too large, make it smaller using the "width" and "height" parameters.
- Jack Hollingsworth/Photodisc/Getty Images