The GI Bill was enacted over 60 years ago to help military veterans receive higher education degrees and certifications to help achieve a better civilian life. A veteran may qualify for either the Montgomery GI Bill or the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Both GI bills help pay for college courses. There is no government website which a veteran can access to determine his official remaining benefits. However, there are ways to help answer the question and some websites give estimates.

Step 1

Call the VA toll free at 1-888-442-4551 to speak with a representative. The representative will request your information and will be able to provide details about the benefits remaining on the GI Bill.

Step 2

Go to the Department of Veterans Affairs website and ask a question. A link to the website is located in the Resources section of this article. Fill out the form with your question and contact information.

Step 3

Review the periodic statements received regarding your benefits if you are already using GI bill to pay for school. Call the toll free number to ask questions about the statement.