Filing a 1099-INT form with your taxes reports the amount of interest you earned during the year. If you have enough interest income you're required to file a return whether you're a minor or an adult. The thresholds depend on your filing status and, if someone claims you as a dependent, the type of income you had.

Tax Thresholds

If no one claims you as a dependent on their tax return and you were single during the year, you're required to file if you have more than $10,000 of income -- including the amount reported on the 1099-INT form. If you're claimed as a dependent you must file if your unearned income, including what's on the 1099-INT, was more than $1,000. You must also file if your total income exceeds either $1,000 or your earned income plus $350, whichever is greater. Same goes if your earned income was more than $6,100.