Although each country has only one ambassador, larger countries might have multiple consuls general. A consul general leads the consul staff in foreign countries, assisting U.S. citizens traveling abroad. In some instances, the consul general may serve as ambassador, which changes the form of address. The consuls general for another country would represent that country in the United States, providing needed assistance to travelers from their countries.

Courteous and Correct Address

If the individual serves strictly as consul general, the proper address includes the courtesy title you normally would use, such as "Mr.," "Dr." or "Mrs." When writing a letter, the envelope address would be Mr. John Smith; Consul General of (name of country); Street Address; City, State, ZIP code. If the consul also is a U.S. ambassador, the proper address is “The Honorable,” while ambassadors from other countries should be addressed as “His/Her Excellency.”