Glue sticks require certain ingredients; otherwise, the finished product will not live up to the expectations of the factory or the consumer. Many of the ingredients used are privileged information solely for the makers of the product. Not all glues include the same ingredients. They might use the same or similar ingredients, but they use different variations. Therefore, the qualities of glue stick brands are variable. Many of these ingredients are fairly safe and act as thickeners, smoothing texture and binders.

Acrylic polymer

...

Manufacturers use the acrylic polymer ingredient in glue sticks, but you can also find it in varnishes. Acrylic gives the glue the ability to quickly dry and the polymer component gives it strength, like what you see in plastics and shellacs. This material is deemed a non-toxic and non-explosive chemical. It remains colorless and comes in liquid form. However, manufacturers should pursue good ventilation and effective control of the acrylic polymer dust since the ingredient could still cause some minor irritation of the nose, throat and lungs if it is allowed to become airborne. Also, eye irritation may occur.

Polyethylene glycol

Polyethylene glycol in glue sticks provides a binding component to the product. Also, it helps lubricate and keep the product moist, keeping the glue viscous and easy to squeeze out of a bottle. This ingredient also gets mixed in laxatives and used for other medical purposes. Although non-toxic, if the individual has an allergy to it he could experience a variety of discomforts. Among them include nausea, bloating and cramping. If someone has a more significant allergy to polyethylene glycol, he could also develop rashes.

Sodium Stearate

Sodium stearate is one of the primary ingredients in glue sticks. It also exists in paints, plastics and inks. It is considered significantly harmful if it comes in contact with the eyes, stomach or lungs. The skin can also become significantly affected. Sodium stearate will irritate and inflame the areas and cause a considerable amount of discomfort to the individual. Ingesting the material can greatly affect an individual's health. Call a medical professional promptly if an individual has made contact with the chemical.