Washington, D.C, the capital of the United States, was named in honor of the first U.S. president, George Washington. Washington, D.C, however, is not a part of any state and therefore not a state capital. The four U.S. capital cities named for presidents played integral roles in shaping the nation, and in their name carry the banner for a few of the early leaders of the country.

Jackson, MS

Named in honor of Major General Andrew Jackson, the seventh U.S. president, Jackson is the largest and most populated city in Mississippi. Centrally located in the state, Jackson is home to 176,614 residents, according to 2006 U.S. Census estimates. Located midway between New Orleans, LA -- which is 187 miles south and Memphis, TN -- which is 209 miles north -- the city sits at the crossroads of Interstate 55 and Interstate 20. Jackson is also midway between Dallas, TX, and Atlanta, GA, which are 402 miles west and 382 miles east, respectively.

Lincoln, NE

When Nebraska became a state in 1867, state officials changed the state capital from Omaha to Lancaster, and named the new capital Lincoln in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. According to the U.S. Census 2006 population estimate, 241,167 residents call Lincoln home, populating the southeast corner of Nebraska. The city boasts accolades such as appearances in Child Magazine’s “Best Cities for Families,” and Sporting News’ “Best Sport Cities.” Lincoln also hosts the University of Nebraska -- one of the area’s largest employers -- which was chartered in 1869.

Jefferson City, MO

Missouri state legislators created the state’s capital in 1821 and named it Jefferson City after President Thomas Jefferson, who served as president between 1801 and 1809. The 27 square mile city began with 31 families and has grown to 15,794 households, according to the 2000 U.S. Census population data. Jefferson City straddles Cole and Callaway counties and is about a two-hour drive west of St. Louis and a two-hour drive east of Kansas City. Points of interest in Jefferson City include the Missouri State Penitentiary -- decommissioned in 2004 after 168 years of service -- and the state capitol, which was built in 1917.

Madison, WI

The streets of Madison, WI, are named for the signers of the U.S. constitution and the city was named in honor of the fourth U.S. president, James Madison. The Historical Society of Wisconsin states that when Madison became a city in 1856, there were 6,684 residents. According to the 2000 U.S. Census population estimates, the city has grown to 223,389. Madison is a little under a three-hour drive north of Chicago, IL, and a four-hour drive south of Minneapolis, MN. The city has received numerous nods for its healthy environment, and Bicycling Magazine listed Madison seventh on its list of “America’s Top 50 Bike-Friendly Cities.”