The Deadline for Filing Amended Tax Returns

by W D Adkins, Demand Media

Don’t panic if you realize you goofed after you’ve already filed your income tax return. You don’t have to do the whole thing over. The Internal Revenue Service says to file 1040X, “Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.” It’s a short form -- just two pages. All you do is enter the changes and attach any other forms you had to correct. The deadline for filing an amended return depends on whether the mistake was in your favor.

Refund or Taxes Due

When a mistake means you get money back from the IRS, you normally have three years from the date your original tax return was due to file an amended return. For example, if your return was due April 15, 2013 you have until April 15, 2016 to get your amended return in. However, if you owed the IRS money, the deadline is two years after the date you finish paying the taxes due if this date is later than the three-year deadline. If the amended return shows you have to pay the IRS more money, there is no time limit for filing an amended return.

Style Your World With Color

About the Author

Based in Atlanta, Georgia, W D Adkins has been writing professionally since 2008. He writes about business, personal finance and careers. Adkins holds master's degrees in history and sociology from Georgia State University. He became a member of the Society of Professional Journalists in 2009.

Photo Credits

  • Jupiterimages/liquidlibrary/Getty Images