How to Change Your Withholding to Provide More Monthly Cash. If you get a big income tax refund each year, you can add cash to your paycheck by changing the number of withholding allowances you claim on your W-4 form.

Step 1

Use a W-4 Calculator (like the one at to determine your withholding allowances.

Step 2

Understand that you can claim more withholding allowances if you want to. Withholding allowances have no relation to the number of dependents or exemptions you have or can claim on your income tax return.

Step 3

Ask your employer for a new W-4 (Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate), or print one out from the IRS Web site.

Step 4

Increase your number of withholding allowances. This is done on line 5 of the W-4.

Step 5

Understand that less will be taken out of your check each pay period, so you'll get a smaller refund (or no refund) when you file your tax return.

Step 6

Sign the W-4 form and give a copy to your employer.

Step 7

Monitor your future paychecks to make sure the change has been made.