A master's degree in higher education and student services can prepare you for an exciting career on a college campus working with students in many different capacities outside the classroom. Depending on your interests, you could specialize in areas such as admissions, orientation, academic advising, career services, student activities, multicultural affairs, residential life programming or financial aid. Ample opportunities for advancement are available.

Student Services Delivery

Student services positions are classified as "Postsecondary Education Administrators" by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Job duties include advising students on personal and academic concerns, organizing events, program planning, mentoring and scheduling programs and services. Through graduate coursework, internships and a graduate assistant work, you gain skills in counseling, communication, complex problem solving, team building, technology, programming, leadership development and assessment. After graduation, you will be qualified for jobs in student services offices at various types of schools -- public, private, community colleges, four-year colleges and universities.

College Administration

Student services professionals help student reach goals and fulfill dreams.
Student services professionals help student reach goals and fulfill dreams.

If you are hard-working and ambitious, you can quickly advance from an entry-level job to an administrative position as an associate director or director of student services. You still interact with students, but your primary duties will involve staff supervision, budgeting, assessment and facilities management. With considerable experience and additional education, you could pursue a job as dean of students, vice president of student affairs or college president.

Teaching and Scholarship

As a student services professional, you will be continually engaged in professional development activities, such as conducting research and sharing your findings at conference presentations. With a master's degree, you could be an adjunct instructor in education. To become a college professor or an administrator in charge of a student services division or college, you would likely need to complete a doctorate of education.

Additional Information

Jobs in student services are available on college campuses in the United States and throughout the world. According to O*Net Online, the average wage for mid-level students services professionals is $84,280, as of 2011, and the projected rate of growth for this profession is "average" compared to all occupations. Entry-level salaries are much lower and vary depending on the duties of the position and type of institution.